Facebook Pages nor Profiles allow any type of HTML in the main content section, but you can add FBML and HTML applications to add more custom elements to a Page, like clickable images and interactive content.
The Static FBML app allows you to add advanced functionality to a page by placing a customizable box in which you can render HTML or FBML (Facebook Markup Language), giving you free reign over the space to add images, video, stylized text and almost whatever else you want.
If you are interested in customizing your Facebook page like ShopTab this blog post will share with you how to use the Facebook application Static FBML to add new tabs and sidebar boxes to your Facebook Fan Business page. On ShopTab we added some custom items such as Custom Twitter and Sign up Banner on sidebar.
Below are the 4 steps you go through to customize your Facebook Fan Page and the sky is the limit on what you can do:
Step 1 – Add Static FBML to your Facebook Fan Page
- Visit Facebook Static FBML App page at http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=4949752878
- Click “Add to my Page” in the left column
- You have successfully added Static FBML to your Page.
Step 2 – Add Your FBML Box or Tab to Your Facebook Fan Page
- Click on “Edit Page” in the left column right under the logo/ profile image
- Find the “Static FBML” link, click the edit/pencil icon and select “edit”
- Enter the name you want to appear in the box heading in the “Box Title” field such as Video, etc.
- Enter the HTML content in the “FBML” field. A great HTML Tutorial site is W3 Schools.
- When you’ve added in your HTML click “Save Changes”
Step 3 – Place Your Static FBML Appear Either in the Tabs or Left Column
- On your Page’s main page, click “Edit Page” under the logo/profile image
- Locate the FBML application (it will be called whatever you entered into the Box Title field, plus “FBML”), and click the edit/pencil icon
- Select “Application Settings”
- Make sure “Box” is “added” and “Tab” is “added” and click “okay”
- Click on the “Boxes” tab on your Wall (at the top of the center column)
- To have the FBML box appear in the left (narrow) sidebar column of your Wall, locate the FBML box on the Boxes page, click on the edit/pencil and select “Move to Wall Tab”
- To have it appear in the Boxes tab at the top, go to the FBML box you created in your left column, click the edit/pencil and select “Move to Boxes tab”
Step 4 – Creating Additional Static FBML Boxes
- Click “Edit Page” under the logo/avatar of your Fan Page
- Locate the FBML box you have created
- Click the edit/pencil and select “Edit”
- Below the fields for the box you created, locate and click “Add another FBML box”
After you have added Static FBML to your Facebook Fan page please share in the comments area below what creative ideas you came up with on customizing your Facebook fan page. We are always on the lookout for additional custom Facebook fan pages so please share your favorite custom Facebook Fan pages below.