Facebook is a perfect marketing platform for running a product promotion. According to Social Media Examiner, “79% of Facebook fans are more likely to purchase from a brand they have liked, so pursuing more fans and deeper engagement with existing fans is a huge priority!” Since your fans are likely to buy from your company, we want to help you to create a simple to execute social product promotion plan.
The key steps in social promotion planning are the creation of the offer, using all of your key social media options and consistent communication. We’ve seen many clients who have made this a significant marketing component of their social activities in order to reinforce to their fans that they value them and their engagement. So let’s get started.
I. Create the Promotion
There are a number of ways to create a valuable promotion. It is important to remember that social fans appreciate and share special offers, deals and discounts. Package something that you feel is compelling for your fans and something they are likely to share with friends.
- Success Measures: Declare your success objectives for the promotion – things like increased awareness, engagement and sales. Overall social engagement about your products will pay off long-term, even if the clients don’t buy immediately or during the promotion.
- Structure: Consider special pricing, free shipping/expedited shipping, unique combination of products or even an offer only available to your social fans – i.e. not on your website available for all users.
- Scarcity: Make sure that you designate a restricted time frame or a limited volume of inventory available for this promotion. Since social buys are highly influence by impulse, you want to take advantage of creating scarcity to the offer.
II. Implement a Promotion System using your Social Options
You must create a process to make sure you get the word out concerning your promotion to your fans. We suggest the following process.
- Deploy the offering in your Facebook Store or Social Deal App.
- Use a Facebook Share (in ShopTab’s app use our special “Promote” button) to push the offer into your news feed.
- Once posted, go to your news feed and “pin” it to the top of your Fan Page so everyone can see it for the duration of the promotion.
- Now engage your other social channels – use the Tweet or Pin button in your product listings to create more awareness. Think about posting the product link in your blog or Tumblr account.
- Consider the use of Facebook’s paid promotion option to reach targeted users outside of your fan base. While this will cost you money, the opportunity to target outside of your fan base can be compelling.
- Engage your entire list of social channels above repeatedly over the coming days/weeks of the promotion. Don’t overwhelm your fans but recognize that it takes multiple postings to gain a high awareness rate.
- LAST CHANCE/LIMITED TIME
- Don’t miss the opportunity to create urgency for the offer by using your last 24 to 48 hours to make them aware the offer is about to expire.
III. Review and Adjust
After the promotion has run its course review the impact against your success measurements. Learning what works best with your fans may take some time and you won’t learn if you don’t experiment. We hope this simple system will help you to implement a few promotions into your near-term marketing plans. If you give it a try, let us know how it goes.